The Museum is situated on 2½ acres of landscaped grounds. Historic Buildings include the Living Springs School (1891), Homestead House (1910), Wolf Creek School (1904), and the Strasburg Union Pacific Railroad Depot (1917). All are furnished with period artifacts.
Outdoor displays include a UPRR Caboose, antique wooden windmill, operational wigwag RRXING signal, and antique farm equipment.
Three additional buildings house a wide variety of artifacts, from Strasburg’s first fire truck (1917 Ford), original Post Office, Bank and Soda Fountain to tools, house wares, clothing, military equipment, sewing machines and a Blacksmith Shop. The Museum’s Collection consists of over 8,000 individual items.
On August 15, 1870, the last 10¼ miles of track were laid by two crews, one working from the east and one from the west in a record-breaking nine hours. Fifteen months earlier, the golden spike ceremony had been held in Utah, to note the joining by rail of the eastern United States with the west. But the tracks joined at Promontory Summit connected only Omaha and Sacramento in a continuous chain. With the completion of the rails at Strasburg it became possible, at last, to board a train in New York and travel all the way to San Francisco by rail.