On May 22, 2010, the "Grand Re-opening" of the Cottage Grove Museum Annex took plac,e where as the newly renovated displays can now be viewed.
Lots of this history can be found in the Cottage Grove Museum (Birch and H St.).
The mission of the Cottage Grove Historical Society is to preserve and celebrate the history and heritage of the Cottage Grove area and to stimulate interest and knowledge for generations to come.
Nicknamed "Slab Town" because wood slabs were placed in the trail ruts to keep the wagon wheels from sinking into mud during rainy seasons, the original town of Cottage Grove paralleled the west side of the Coast Fork of the Willamette River following the old Applegate Trail.
When gold was discovered in the nearby Bohemia Mountains in 1858, many downtown businesses were started by people who obtained their grubstake in the mines. At one time, there were seven saloons on the north side of Main Street. Those who didn't have anything to do with cards, dancing or alcohol, walked on the other side. The ladies and children had small park areas and inside reading rooms to rest in while waiting for their men to take the family home.
Access: Students, Scholars, Members
Appointment required: True
Hours of operation vary from season to season, so stop on by to see when an attendant is available.