The original brick two story core of the Courthouse Tavern building dates back to at least 1800. A third story was added between 1850 and 1900, and the two-story addition to the back was probably built between 1910 and 1915.
The building may have once served as a doctor's office. However, it was used as the Tavern and hotel for those attending sessions of the County Court from the mid-19th century until its purchase by the County in 1941. The County used it as county offices until its renovation in 1999 by the King and Queen County Historical Society, made possible by matching grants by the State of Virginia and the Jessie Ball duPont Fund.
The Courthouse Tavern building is the only surviving structure in the Courthouse Green Historic District that was not burned by Union Forces in 1864.
Access: General Public, Students, Scholars, Members
Appointment required: True
Closed on Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Dec 15–Jan 31, and Sundays in February.