Updated: 2/2/2012 
Texas Confederate Museum
Fort Worth, Texas
Description

Texas Confederate Museum in Tomball, TX is one of more than 15,400 museums in the MuseumsUSA directory. Find an exciting museum to visit where you live or vacation today.

History

CURRENTLY ALL ITEMS IN STORAGE WHILE EXPLORING SEVERAL OPTIONS.

The Texas Confederate Museum, largest collection of artifacts from the War Between the States west of the Mississippi River, was located on the first floor of the Old Land Office Building on the southeast corner of the State Capitol grounds in Austin.

The State Capitol was completed December 8, 1888, of granite given gratis by Confederate veterans Colonel N. P. Norton, S. W. Lacey, and W. H. Westfall from their quarry with the condition there be a Confederate museum at the Capitol.

The Texas Division United Daughters of the Confederacy, was organized May 15, 1896, by Katie Cabell Muse. The Daughters in Austin organized the Albert Sidney Johnston Chapter #105 May 12, 1897. They started collecting relics pertaining to the history of the South and the period of 1861-1865. The Daughters needed space to display their collection and Colonel Norton, Mr. Lacey and Mr. Westfall asked the Legislature to designate their room for the Daughters' use. This request was granted by a Legislative act in April 1903. The museum opened under the management of the Texas Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

In 1904, the appeal for relics as loans or gifts, "anything from an Indian Arrow head to a Gatlin gun to the ragged bullet ridden jacket of the Private to the uniform of his General," met with a hearty response. Some relic cases still in use were donated by Austin merchants in 1907.

In 1917, the Old Land Office building was empty and was rumored it would be torn down. The people appealed to Governor James E. Ferguson to give the building to be maintained by the Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. As a result Senate Bill 474 and House Bill 831 passed March 1917, and Governor Ferguson signed it April 9, 1917, giving the Daughters permanent quarters.

In 1988, the State ordered the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT) and United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) to vacate. Thus, the museum was looking for a new home. In 1990, it was located at the Helen Marie Taylor Museum in Waco. On August 15, 1994, the museum signed a 50-year loan to the Hill College, Hillsboro, Texas.

Artifact Collections

All artifacts in Storage at present time.

DISCLAIMER
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.

MUSEUM CONFERENCES

April 5 - 8, 2025

New York Museum Association 2025 Conference in Ithaca, NY

Ithaca Downtown Conference Center

Ithaca, New York

April 6 - 8, 2025

Nebraska Museum Association 2025 Conference

Hosted by the Knight Museum in Alliance, Nebraska

United States

April 6 - 9, 2025

Texas Association of Museums 2025 Conference Austin

AT&T Conference Center

Austin, Texas

April 27 - 29, 2025

Oregon Museum Association 2025 Conference

TBA

Independence, Oregon

May 5 - 9, 2025

Museum Store Association FORWARD 2025 in LA

The Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California

Los Angeles, California

RECENT UPDATES

Museums

03/27 A.E. Backus Museum & Gallery

Fort Pierce, Florida

Museum Associations

04/01 Florida Association of Museums

Tallahassee, Florida