Updated: 3/21/2011 
Studebaker National Museum
South Bend, Indiana
Description

At the Studebaker National Museum, you can view over 114 years of automobile history, from the Studebaker family's Conestoga Wagon to the last Studebaker to roll off the assembly line. The museum has over seventy vehicles on display, including four presidential carriages and several vehicles from the original Studebaker collection.

History

The H & C Studebaker blacksmith shop opened in 1852 at the corner of Michigan and Jefferson Streets in what is now the heart of downtown South Bend, Indiana. Henry and Clement Studebaker's blacksmith shop would turn into the Studebaker Manufacturing Company in 1868, and would eventually become the largest wagon manufacturer in the world. Studebaker would also be the only manufacturer to successfully switch from horse-drawn to gasoline powered vehicles. John Mohler Studebaker returned from California in 1858 where he made wheelbarrows for gold miners, and invested his earnings in the business. At this time, the brothers were filling wagon orders for the U.S. Army, and would continue to do so throughout the Civil War. By 1887, sales would eclipse two million dollars, and by 1885, production would top 75,000. Studebaker eased their way into the automobile market after the turn of the century, introducing an electric car in 1902. Gasoline-powered Studebakers came in 1904, produced by the Garford Company in Ohio, marketed under the name Studebaker-Garford. In 1911, Studebaker would join forces with Everitt-Metzker-Flanders Company of Detroit to form the Studebaker Corporation. Studebaker sold automobiles under the EMF and Flanders names until 1913; from thereafter, all new cars carried the Studebaker name. Studebaker was still producing wagons, and would do so until 1920, at which time automobile production was moved from Detroit to South Bend. During this time, Studebaker built automobiles in the medium-price-field. In 1927, Studebaker introduced the Erskine; a small car designed for the European market, and purchased luxury automaker Pierce-Arrow. The Great Depression, combined with questionable management decisions lead to Studebaker going into receivership in 1933. They would emerge from receivership under Studebaker Vice-Presidents Paul Hoffman and Harold Vance. Raymond Loewy's relationship with Studebaker began in 1936. Raymond Loewy Associates held the Studebaker account from 1936-1955, with the first RLA designs being the 1938 models. RLA would also style the successful 1939 Champion, which marked Studebaker's first successful foray into the low-priced field.

DISCLAIMER
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.

MUSEUM CONFERENCES

April 5 - 8, 2025

New York Museum Association 2025 Conference in Ithaca, NY

Ithaca Downtown Conference Center

Ithaca, New York

April 6 - 8, 2025

Nebraska Museum Association 2025 Conference

Hosted by the Knight Museum in Alliance, Nebraska

United States

April 6 - 9, 2025

Texas Association of Museums 2025 Conference Austin

AT&T Conference Center

Austin, Texas

April 27 - 29, 2025

Oregon Museum Association 2025 Conference

TBA

Independence, Oregon

May 5 - 9, 2025

Museum Store Association FORWARD 2025 in LA

The Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California

Los Angeles, California

RECENT UPDATES

Museums

04/03 Palm Harbor Museum

Palm Harbor, Florida

03/27 A.E. Backus Museum & Gallery

Fort Pierce, Florida

Museum Associations

04/03 Florida Association of Museums

Tallahassee, Florida